Thursday, January 15, 2009

TRY NOT. DO!!!

The past two days have been interesting.... I have been thinking over and over .. why did I pick the marathon in March when it is going to be sub 10 degrees from here to forrreevvverrr in Cincinnati and my long runs are going to be this cold cold weekend... Last night was an "easy 3-4 mile run" and like all great things in the sport, you live and learn (and then get loves.. right Em?). However I learned I have to do my running, have to... have to...HAVE TO before 9 at night... Otherwise I am like a zombie and 3-4 miles feels like 30-40 miles. However, I did it, and I was happy with doing my 5k under 28 mins. (not fast, but good for this big Athena).
Then today... I knew I was going to have a break in my clients and get my run in early, so I packed my lucky and lovely light green shorts, and kept telling myself.. it's only 6.5 miles, it's only 6.5 miles.. and before I knew it (with the exception of the time I had to get off and use the ladies room) I was running 7 and it felt great.. not effortless, but much better than last night...
Funny how our muslces work, with music and the many positive pumps in the air from those fine members at Mercy Health Plex, it realllly helps. or could it be my favorite green shorts? This is Kathleen Kisner in my picture with me.. We were both finished with our work out of the night, and our sweatiness proves it. She is a Former (but will return) client, and she bought this shirt she was proud to show me while she was at Disney... which read "TRY NOT. DO..... OR DO NOT. THERE IS NO TRY" When I kinda looked at her funny she said it is for me to stop making excuses and just do it.. don't try, just do it. I liked it enough to take a picture :) great mantra for this weekends long run.. JUST DO IT! I am hoping I can manage to build a stand for a portable DVD player.. at least that is what the idea is...

Either way, I did it another day, and I even spent some decent time on the spinner this afternoon. Until then... I think like others can, I will continue to say in my head...

TRY NOT... DO!!!




2 comments:

Eric said...

Yoda was a wise Jedi. He told Luke that during training.

Training....interesting.....how that applies.

Not much of a temp difference between Cinci and Cleveland.

Way to git 'r done on the treadmill.

Lora Abernathy said...

Awesome job in overcoming the dread of the run. The treadmill is such a snooze and you deserve kudos for just gettin' it done.

Lora