Friday, November 14, 2008

HUMBLE, INTIMIDATED, and EXHAUSTED



Webster defines the following:
HUMBLE
–adjective
1. not proud or arrogant; modest: to be humble although successful.
2. having a feeling of insignificance, inferiority, subservience, etc.: In the presence of so many world-famous writers I felt very humble.
3. low in rank, importance, status, quality, etc.; lowly: of humble origin; a humble home.
4. courteously respectful: In my humble opinion you are wrong.
5. low in height, level, etc.; small in size: a humble member of the galaxy. –verb (used with object)
6. to lower in condition, importance, or dignity; abase.
7. to destroy the independence, power, or will of.
8. to make meek: to humble one's heart.

INTIMIDATE:
-verb
1. to make timid; fill with fear.
2. to overawe or cow, as through the force of personality or by superior display of wealth, talent, etc.
3. to force into or deter from some action by inducing fear: to intimidate a voter into staying away from the polls.

EXHAUSTED
1. To wear out completely.
2. To drain of resources or properties; deplete: tobacco crops that exhausted the soil.
3. To use up completely: exhausted our funds before the month was out.
4. To treat completely; cover thoroughly: exhaust a topic.
5. To draw out the contents of; drain: exhaust a tank gradually.
6. To let out or draw off: exhaust vaporous wastes through a pipe.


Last night was my first night swimming with Elder up at UC, and oh... my... gosh... it was to this day the most humbling, intimidating, and exhausting thing I have done yet. The practices run for two hours, and throughout this two hours, I had no idea what to expect swimming with over 30 high school boys. Coach Book, John to me, is also scheduled for the Ironman Louisville, and he is being VERY generous to allow me to practice, and train with his team throughout the winter. I have spoke on accountability before, and this was exactly what my behind needs. Starting off I was placed in a lane with a guy, much like all of them, with beautiful natural strokes. Could the guys be like dogs and smell the fear on me before I even started. I had to laugh at my stomach in knots much like my first day swimming with Cincy Express up at Wright. I jumped right in, and off we go fresh at 7:30p.m.

I was moved over a couple lanes, and set up in a lane I would be in all night. The drills were like none I have ever done before from single arm backstrokes, to butterfly... yes I swam butterfly.. it was ugly, but none the less I did it. John is an amazing coach. I look at coaches techniques, and qualities, and he is a perfect fit for this weakest leg of my race. After a couple drills, my stomach was churning, and I felt like I have never swam before, like I was dead metal weight wanting to sink and sink and sink, but I just kept telling myself I WILL I WILL I WILL. It is amazing what positive thinking does. At 8:00 I thought, oh my gosh, we still have another hour and half.

With each stroke, I thought about the many different swimmers I watched night after night during the Olympics, and how I was on my JOURNEY to be of my own champion. The straight line kicking drill almost killed, me but I knew it has to get better for the future. For the first time, I had tight cramps in my calves, and hamstrings, and could feel the sweat dripping off my face in between each set. None the less, it was awesome.
I kept telling myself get to 9:00 and then you can get out, but then at 9:00 I thought the guys aren't going anywhere, and either are you.. get going again.
I hope the guys will welcome me, as I watch their smooth, oh so smooth strokes, as I smack the water, and hopefully I will continue to move up to the faster lanes. For now though, as my body shook the whole way home, and I felt naustious, I thought this is what I need to prepair me for the swim. John said my end probably swam around 3400-3600 meters, and I just laughed thinking the farthest I had until then was Chicago... .94 of a mile ! A gain of improvement in just one night.

The weekend is busy as ever, and this morning's 6:00 am training session with my first client came early again as it felt like I was still thinking of all the things I want to do.

HAPPY NEWS~~ I did receive the go ahead to start raising funds for Girls on the Run, and I hope to start this new portion of my mission on Sunday.

I wish everyone a warm weekend, and even though this week was humbling, and intimidating and exhausted, I am blessed to be on this JOURNEY.

Until next time, try keep your head above water.. that is the only way we can see you smile :)

1 comments:

Mary Sunshine said...

Congrats on the swimming! You are a tough tough athlete!

Any chance you want to ride Sunday?

miss ya lots!

m